November 18, Asia Meetup
Date: November 18, Wednesday
Time: Delhi 13:30 (UTC+5:30) / Taipei-Kuala Lumpur 16:00 (UTC+8) / Tokyo 17:00 (UTC+9) / NYC 3am (EST)
Who: Facilitated by Lulu
Where: The Meetjitsi link will be shared in the following rooms on the IFF Mattermost one or two hours before the start of the meeting: Southeast Asia, Central Asia and East Asia.
- Don't have an account to the IFF Mattermost? you can request one following the directions here.
- RCEP (The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership) was just signed on Nov. 15 by 15 Asia and Asia-pasific countries (including China). It has many detail in this trade deal will have influences in digital rights. SO....How RCEP will affect the digital rights in the regional and globally?
- Mozila's 2021 internet health report focus more on people's stories. How to make things better in 2021? We hope there will be people image on the report, such as their photos, their stories, ideas, proejcts. It is ok to be the anonyomous. Still lack the stories from East Asia, and Southeast and South Asia.
Discussion 1: Brainstorm on activities/events meetups (2021)
- Webinar - What is RCEP? How RCEP affecting Digital Rights in Asia and other regions? This will be an important topic in the future. We can have the knowledge exchange in the next monthly meetup, and also a specifice seesion to disscuse the influences of RCEP.
- More online events for 2021, as most physical events may not be possible yet
- Sessions RightsCon 2021: https://www.rightscon.org/
- RightsCon and Coconet groups also think it will be great to have more talks within the region. But, how? how to make an active danymic to includ more Asia partners.
- Is there any suggestion about better platform than mattermost? maybe Asia folks can chat more often, people may not open mattermost that often (through browser).
- A:more............it is a questino with solution yet.
- Keypoint:sometimes, people feel more willing to share when typing. Text chatting is needs. Also, the platform should be easy to open (or used to open eveyday)
- The layout of Mattermost is good though.
- Glittermeetup setup the topic each time, it may be a good way to run the region text channel too.
- IFF mattermost may have too many Asia channel (maybe 5 of it?) . Sometime it is hard to call for "Asia" discussion.
Discussion 2: Sharing experiences on remote activities you have done in 2020
- Silence meeting(reading?) room.
- Q: online activities platform, what is your favorative?
- A:BBB is one of good choice, more stable, has function which can separate the room.
- A:Although it is just the beta version, it is a platform to make online gathering more fun https://gather.town/
- A:g0v used jitsi to create many diferent online platform and function,indlucing
- Creat bullet comments by link jitsi & slack/telegram https://g0v.hackmd.io/OEaERJUzTkOFovq8QfDABQ
- We wish to know, how to make online events more interesting, which tools are good, how to facilitate? Since the pandemic will stay with us for at least 1 year, to know better how to lead/plan an online activiy is important.