Digital independence in the age of the Big Five (How to cook up independent, secure servers for small groups and organizations)
- 1 Session Description
- 2 Session Comments
- 3 Slides
|Digital independence in the age of the Big Five (How to cook up independent, secure servers for small groups and organizations)|
|Bio/s||In 2011, KheOps participated in uncovering mass electronic surveillance equipment in Syria and helped Syrians evade governmental censorship with an informal team on the Telecomix IRC. He has since been taking the fight for fundamental rights to a European level, notably helping La Quadrature du Net in their campaigns against ACTA, in favor of network neutrality and against recent French mass surveillance laws. KheOps believes in local, transparently-managed and community-run Internet access providers as a means to run respectful networks, and as such actively participates in FAImaison, a local non-profit access provider. He advocates cryptography, free and open source software and self-hosting through trainings and cryptoparties. He notably is a main developer of eQualit.ie’s self-hosting solution Caisleán. But his real job is cooking Breton galettes for his colleagues. KheOps is based in Nantes, France and works as Dev-Ops at eQualit.ie|
|Language||English (or French)|
Since uploads are disabled on this wiki, I reproduce quickly the 6 slides here.
Intro: "Avoiding Googledocs for an Internet freedom event's calendar (hosting your services yourself to protect your community)"
PGP key fingerprint:
D1F5 46E3 78CC FAB6 7B21 C79A BA5B 6E9F 53BB 2174
- Not all organizations have a sysadmin
- Sysadmins do not have infinite time and knowledge
- Independant providers already exist
- Not what you are looking for? Not trusting?
- Solutions to ease the setup of your own
Configuration manager based recipes
- Shared by friendly providers
- Developed independantly
- https://sandstorm.io : Docker-based for separating applications
- https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/ : Debian packages and images
- Adapted to small devices for home use
- https://yunohost.org/ : Debian packages and images
- Small devices, home use, targets ease of use
How to choose what fits best?
- What criteria?
- Organizations need to be accompanied?
- Sysadmins "less" but still needed